Sparsholt College Hampshire
Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard in Golf Greenkeeping (0143)
This will be delivered on a day-release basis over 2 years, culminating in work-based visits and a block week of end-point assessment preparation.
Apprentices will have the opportunity to:
- Complete a recognised City & Guilds apprenticeship programme in Golf Greenkeeping
- Achieve a Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping
- Complete the GTC Golf Greenkeeping Training Manual (portfolio) to develop the important skills, knowledge and behaviours required
- Receive expert maths and English support from dedicated functional skills tutors.
More information on the Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping at Sparsholt College can be found here.
The College also offers an extensive commercial short course provision relevant to land-based requirements, as well as general business need. These include:
- [PA1] Safe Use of Pesticides
- [PA2] Pesticide Application - Tractor Mounted
- [PA6] Pesticide Application – Handheld
- Safe Use of Chainsaw – Felling/ Processing/ Maintenance
- First Aid
- All & Rough Terrain Vehicle Driving
- Royal Horticulture Society Practical Training
About the College
As a land-based specialist College, Sparsholt campus offers extensive practical training facilities and equipment to meet the needs of Employers and Apprentices. Resources include:
- A 400-acre commercial farm – with a 100 strong dairy herd, a dairy unit, a beef unit, a pig unit, and 250 sheep
- An Aquatic Research and Conservation Centre
- Football pitches/ playing fields
- Orchards, Hedgerow and Large Growing Areas and Structures
- Animal Management Centre – including a zoo licence (BIAZA membership), state-of-the-art boarding kennels and grooming facilities
- A small 3-hole golf course plus sand bunkers for practical training and assessment
Core apprenticeship business covers Hampshire, and the surrounding counties including the Isle of Wight, Dorset, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Surrey and West Sussex. Block-release apprenticeship delivery services Employers further afield, in areas such as Kent to Norfolk in the East, Somerset to Cornwall in the West, and further north of Sparsholt such as Shropshire and the Midlands.
The college employs 150 full time education academic staff and offers 40+ levels of apprenticeship standards and frameworks. For our Golf Greenkeeping Apprenticeship programme, our teaching and assessment staff have all worked as Head Greenkeepers in commercial settings, in addition to other horticultural sector experience. They understand both the awarding body and GTC’s high standards of delivery required, and have excellent success in supporting apprentices to achieve their programmes of learning within land-based provision.
Stephen Mouat, our Golf Greenkeeping lecturer states:
“Having been in the trade since leaving school at the age of 16, and attending Sparsholt College as an apprentice many years ago, I am very proud to be employed by the College to support the next generation of greenkeepers develop the right knowledge, skills and behaviours that will meet employers’ needs.
Apprentices will enjoy workshop discussions and practical demonstrations, as well as attending trade visits to a host of turf-based sporting venues to view best practice”.
- Abingdon & Witney College
- Askham Bryan College
- Berkshire College of Agriculture
- Bishop Burton College
- Bridgwater and Taunton College
- DART Ltd.
- East Durham College
- Hadlow College
- KEITS Training Services Ltd
- Kingston Maurward College
- Merrist Wood College
- Myerscough College
- Oaklands College
- Oldham College
- Pershore College
- Plumpton College
- Reaseheath College
- Shipley College
- South Staffordshire College
- Sparsholt College Hampshire
- Suffolk New College
- The College of West Anglia
- Writtle University College