Sparsholt College Hampshire
Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard in Golf Greenkeeping (0143)
This will be delivered online one day per week. Learners will be invited in to attend a practical day once a month throughout the academic calendar. This course will be culminated with work-based visits also. End-point assessment preparation will take place through workplace visits as well as in college primarily towards the last 6 months of the programme.
Apprentices will have the opportunity to:
- Complete a recognised City & Guilds apprenticeship programme in Golf Greenkeeping
- Achieve a Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping
- Complete the GTC Golf Greenkeeping Training Manual (portfolio) to develop the important skills, knowledge and behaviours required
- Receive expert maths and English support from dedicated functional skills tutors.
More information on the Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping at Sparsholt College can be found here.
The College also offers an extensive commercial short course provision relevant to land-based requirements, as well as general business need. These include:
- [PA1] Safe Use of Pesticides (Included as part of the Apprenticeship)
- [PA2] Pesticide Application - Tractor Mounted
- PA6] Pesticide Application – Handheld (Included as part of the Apprenticeship)
- Safe Use of Chainsaw – Felling/ Processing/ Maintenance
- All & Rough Terrain Vehicle Driving
- Royal Horticulture Society Practical Training
- Manually Fed Woodchippers
- Safe Use of Brushcutters and Trimmers
- First Aid
About the College
As a land-based specialist College, Sparsholt campus offers extensive practical training facilities and equipment to meet the needs of Employers and Apprentices. Resources include:
- A 400-acre commercial farm – with a 100 strong dairy herd, a dairy unit, a beef unit, a pig unit, and 250 sheep
- An Aquatic Research and Conservation Centre
- Football pitches/ playing fields
- Orchards, Hedgerow and Large Growing Areas and Structures
- Animal Management Centre – including a zoo licence (BIAZA membership), state-of-the-art boarding kennels and grooming facilities
- A small 3-hole golf course plus sand bunkers for training and development purposes
Core apprenticeship business covers Hampshire, and the surrounding counties including the Isle of Wight, Dorset, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Surrey and West Sussex.
The college employs 150 full time education academic staff and offers 40+ levels of apprenticeship standards and frameworks. For our Golf Greenkeeping Apprenticeship programme, our teaching and assessment staff have all worked as Head Greenkeepers in commercial settings, in addition to other horticultural sector experience. They understand both the awarding body and GTC’s high standards of delivery required, and have excellent success in supporting apprentices to achieve their programmes of learning within land-based provision.