The Key Role and Responsibilities of the GTC
The GTC represents British golf club employers and greenkeepers through a Board of Directors from the Scottish Golf, England Golf, Wales Golf and BIGGA to ensure:
1. The Golf Greenkeeping industry has a range of nationally approved qualifications to choose from. The courses available cover all levels from apprenticeships and work based courses to more formal qualifications known as work related courss such as an HNC, HND and Degree courses.
It is the GTC's responsibility to ensure all of the qualifications are relevant to the golf greenkeeping industry. This is ensured through attendance at meetings where reviews and re-accredidation are discussed.
2. The sector has a nationally approved apprenticeship programme.
The apprenticeship programme has been developed to ensure learners have both the occupational skills to maintain a golf course and also the key skills of communication, numeracy and literacy.
3. The sector has a network of Quality Assured Training Providers (mainly Further Education colleges).
The GTC works closely with Employers and Awarding Bodies, City & Guilds and the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) to monitor and maintain an approved list of training providers. The GTC also visits the Quality Assured Training Providers as part of its own quality assurance monitoring work. This work includes ensuring employers and learners receive the best possible service from approved providers through various delivery methods for learning e.g. part-time, full-time, online learning
4. The Golf Greenkeeping industry has available up to date Training Manuals
The GTC has developed training manuals linked to the work based qualifications and to the new certificate apprenticeship scheme. The GTC has produced a nationally recognised set of learning materials to compliment work based qualifications and Levels 2 and 3. These materials used by the GTC approved training providers are also available to purchase in hard copy or as a flash drive.
5. The GTC maintains an up to date website and circulates press releases to continually raise the awareness of best practice and principles in greenkeeper training.
The GTC supports Golf Club Employers & Greenkeepers through promoting greenkeeping through ensuring the provision of quality education and training.
ALL OF THE ABOVE POINTS ARE CARRIED OUT IN ASSOCIATION WITH AN AGREED BUSINESS PLAN, WHICH IS DEVELOPED BY ADVISORY PANELS OF SECTOR EXPERTS, APPROVED BY THE GTC BOARD AND IMPLEMENTED BY THE GTC MANAGER.
The above work is funded by a grant from England Golf, Scottish Golf, Wales Golf, the PGA and full members of BIGGA.